3/7/09

"Candid Camera"

Is anyone else like me in that you really, really, really like Facebook? If so...maybe this post on Tim Stevens's (yes, Heather's dad) blog is something you should read too. For those of you too lazy to just click and read it, I'll summarize.
Facebook (myspace, twitter, etc.) is awesome. But there's one thing I hadn't really thought about--whatever you write on Facebook, stays on Facebook. There's no "take backs". And apparently some people are wising up to this. Employers are checking out people's profiles, blogs, walls. This thought scares me. I'm sure I've written stuff that I wouldn't want some people to see. I mean, don't we say always say things we wish we hadn't five seconds later? The thing is...people forget about what you say. Facebook never does. Mr. Stevens put it this way--we should live online like we're on Candid Camera. Because we are. There's a huge temptation online to be someone we're not, to write things we might never say out loud, look around at stuff we probably shouldn't. Resist that! Not only will it mess you up in general (being tow different people usually does) but it could mess up people's perception of you. I'm not innocent either, believe me. Maybe we all just need to be reminded to be careful.

"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should
not be. Can both fresh water and salt
water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a
grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh
water.
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it
by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."

~James 3: 10-13


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! Most of the time I don't think about this. I guess I better start.

    ReplyDelete