2/13/09

Paint

So, I didn't actually write this. It was written by one of my dear dear friends, Eleny. Let me take just a second to advertise, like any good friend would--Eleny is someone who I look up to and love dearly. We have experienced some hard things, and I am so proud to be friends with such a wonderful person. Haha, now I've got her all embarrassed... Anyway, back on subject. She posted it on Facebook (haha...you know me and my addiction...), and I absolutely loved it. Meant to post this sooner, but oh well. I have been cursed with procrastination...anyway, I hope you like it as much as I did.

I often wish I could write something profound, something deep, and something that makes people think. But I never know where to start or what to say. Plus I never know if what I want to say will make sense. However, I guess I'll give it a shot. I was standing in front of my kitchen counter and sitting on it was a paint can. There was paint still on it left over from when someone poured it, but it was dry. Bored, I started peeling of the dry paint, it was very rubbery... Ok, wow, yeah real profound statement. But, when I was peeling of the paint from the can, I started thinking. I started thinking that we, as Christians, are sort of like paint. This is a strange analogy I know. Please bear with me, I can explain. Paint can be used to create something beautiful, but if it is left to dry, it can become rubbery and useless. God created us to be something beautiful. He created us in the image of Him. He created us to glorify Him, isn't that beautiful? He wants us to be in a relationship with Him. He wants us to be constantly working to become closer to Him. If we stray from God, or slack in our relationship with Christ we become spiritually dry. Why? Because we are not being constantly filled with the Living Water. We become "rubbery". The word "rubbery" means lacking firmness or stiffness. If we are not frequently spending time with God, what does it do to us? It wears us down spiritually. Joshua 1:8 says, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Psalm 1:2-3 says, "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." If we are continually in the Word and spending time with God, we will be able to stand firm and not be "rubbery" spiritually. Every Christian has a "drought" in their walk with God. We all have times where we feel on fire for God or where we feel like we aren't changing or growing. Personally, I get stuck in that drought a lot. I feel like I'm not satisfied with where I'm at with God. Why do we get stuck in that rut? I honestly do not know. I just wish that it didn't happen. I want to have a constant fire for God, but sometimes my flame fades a little. Please pray for me, for yourself, and for other Christians in your life. Pray that we can get out of our spiritual droughts whenever we fall into them.

2 comments:

  1. AHH i can COMMENT!! :D i read this on facebook and LOVED it! Eleny is awesome :) you guys both are! you're such amazing writers! and you ALWAYS make me think!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thx allie! i love u!!!! and thx heather 2 :)... i'm excited that i can comment now! :D <3 ya lots allie!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete