11/29/09

On the Road Again...

The time has come--I am a week away from 16, and the proud possessor of a Level 1 learner's license! So far, after 3 weeks of driver's ed successfully completed and about 8 hours behind the wheel, I have learned many valuable lessons. So, without further ado, I give you Allie (or Alex, if you're my driving instructor--long story) Wood's Do's & Don'ts of Novice Driving.
  • Do consider the fact that Mom & Dad will never be as laid-back as your crazy driving instructor. Plan your braking distance accordingly.
  • Don't say "I know" when your mom tries to supply you with important information. Just don't.
  • Do remember that this is the only time in your life where you have a legitimate excuse for driving badly. Also, do remember to mention this fact loudly and often.
  • Don't sing while on the road, unless you want to get...instructed...on why that's not a good idea at this stage of your driving.
  • Do try to retain as much as possible of the pointless trivia tidbits you pick up in driver's ed. This information can make for great on-road conversation when you're in the passenger's seat. In my opinion at least--my mother does not agree.
  • Don't forget that as soon as you let someone drive with you, you are giving them implied consent to comment on your driving--every rolling stop, every pothole, and every traffic cone you've hit in the past.
  • Do keep in mind that little siblings find the entire situation incredibly entertaining, and will perform spontaneous karaoke in the backseat. (Today, the lineup included Shut Up and Drive, Thriller, and Jesus, Take the Wheel.)

Above all, don't get discouraged if you have a few less-than-NASCAR-quality moments. It doesn't come naturally to everyone--in fact, there will be moments when you're pretty sure it's not going to come at all, naturally or otherwise. I'm just holding out hope that I'm a late bloomer.

5 comments:

  1. Does your mom use the same invisible brake peddle, located at the foot of the passenger seat, that my mom used when I was learning? lol
    Jennifer Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahaha i love this allie:)
    GOOD LUCK! you'll get past this stage of frustrations about having your parents critique EVERYTHING! hahaha
    when i first started getting better at driving, if my mom was ever driving, i would notice every little thing she did wrong and it made me SO nervous! haha like..especially holding her coffee in one hand and the wheel in the other..ahh!! hahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in my day, your Grammy nearly put her foot through the floor trying to activate her imaginary passenger's side brake! And, just so you know, older siblings -- already in possession of their drivers licenses -- hardly qualify as amiable traveling companions either!

    Auntie G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie I love this post:) You have a way with words and it's so exciting that you are driving! I still remember learning to drive with my parents in the car. A trying time! I specifically remember trying to park in the Kohl's parking lot while my mom was, not so calmly, giving me instructions. I was half way into the parking spot and I put the car in park, got out and said, "FINE, you do it!" Not one of my better moments:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so funny!!! and so true!!! I learned most of those things during my "permit" year :)

    ReplyDelete